Poor indoor air quality in schools is linked to various health problems that directly impact learning outcomes. Studies show that students exposed to polluted indoor air experience decreased concentration, higher absenteeism, and reduced cognitive performance.
Poor indoor air quality is particularly concerning in Dallas, TX, where common issues include high levels of allergens like pollen, dust, mold spores, and pollutants from vehicle emissions and industrial activities. These contaminants can aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma. Other problems include:
- Reduced building and equipment efficiency
- Costly repairs and closures
- Negative publicity
- Increased liability and risk
MHC provides air purification solutions that help schools meet EPA air quality regulations that ensure heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems function efficiently and effectively filter out harmful particles. From upgrading existing systems with advanced air filters to routine maintenance and inspections, our proactive approach to air quality management can be crucial in creating a healthy, conducive learning environment.
How To Improve Indoor Air Quality in Schools
Most schools are unaware of the harmful indoor pollutants that pose a risk to students, educators, and staff. They often don’t realize that products like glue, paint, and air fresheners contain chemicals like arsenic, formaldehyde, and benzene that can linger for years if not decades.
Implementing these three minor changes can reduce pollutants in your school, creating a safer environment for everyone.
- Install air purifiers: Classroom and common area air purifiers are terrific first-line defenses in improving a school’s indoor air quality. Today’s advanced devices filter out pollutants, allergens, and even viruses, a significant benefit in a city like Dallas, where these contaminants can be prevalent. These air cleaners use high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters to capture particles as small as 0.3 microns, including pollen, dust, mold spores, and bacteria. Moreover, air purifiers reduce the concentration of airborne chemicals and odors, providing a cleaner breathing environment. When choosing an air purifier, selecting one capable of purifying the entire room is critical. Filters should be replaced regularly to ensure the unit operates at maximum efficiency.
- Enhance ventilation systems: Improving your school’s ventilation system is another effective strategy, increasing outdoor airflow into the building and reducing indoor air recirculation. In cities like Dallas, where temperatures often soar, it’s essential to balance the need for ventilation with energy efficiency. Upgrading your building’s HVAC system to include air filters with a Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) rating of 13 or higher significantly improves air filtration while still maintaining energy efficiency. The filters capture finer particles compared to standard filters, enhancing overall air quality. Having the system regularly inspected and maintained is crucial to prevent dust and mold accumulation, which can also adversely affect air quality.
- Routine cleaning and maintenance: Regular, thorough cleaning of the school premises is vital in maintaining good indoor air quality, including daily cleansing of floors, counters, desks, and other high-contact surfaces with appropriate agents that don’t emit harmful chemicals. In the Dallas region, frequent dusting and vacuuming with HEPA filter-equipped vacuums can significantly reduce the presence of multiple allergens. Prompt repair of water leaks prevents mold growth, which can severely impact air quality. Implementing a no-idling policy for vehicles on school grounds can reduce vehicle exhaust infiltration, further enhancing your school’s air quality.
Before making any changes or improvements, be sure to have an experienced HVAC contractor test your school’s air quality to pinpoint pollution sources so the correct air purification devices are installed.
Why Choose MHC for Your School’s Indoor Air Quality Services?
School administrators and facilities managers nationwide have taken steps to ensure their schools have clean indoor air. By taking these simple proactive measures to improve your building’s air quality, you create an environment that fosters health, learning, and well-being for students, teachers, and staff alike.
For nearly 50 years, family-owned and -operated MHC has provided Dallas, TX, schools with quality HVAC services, including air purification systems. We offer competitive pricing and are dedicated to revolutionizing the customer experience through excellence at every phase.
Healthier air means a brighter future for everyone involved! Talk to one of our NATE-certified technicians today about the commercial indoor air quality services we offer. You can contact us online or call 972-279-3400 to schedule an appointment. And don’t forget to ask about our VIP Maintenance Program that ensures efficient, dependable HVAC performance through routine checkups and repairs.